Recently, Instagram shook social media when the titan announced it would hide likes on posts in several countries. Instagram is providing users with a new favourite measure for post popularity, the Instagram save.
The Instagram save feature is not a new addition to the options for post interaction (the feature debuted in late 2016). However, it is presently gaining traction and attention because of its game-changing potential within the Instagram algorithm.
What Are Instagram Saves?
An Instagram save is essentially a bookmark for a particular post.
These are a handy way of referencing posts of significance. Since the save option will keep posts as a private feature, there is no concern that Auntie will see your interest in black latex clothing.
Instagram also gives users the option of creating collections using saved posts. This is a handy way to organise what you collect (think Pinterest) and is helpful when you are searching for the amazing dessert recipe you saw last week.
Why Are Instagram Saves So Important?
Since discounting and in many markets, hiding Instagram likes, the company looks at saved content as being higher quality. The premise holds water. If your post is inspiring enough for a user to want to see again or possibly share with others, then Instagram believes must have merit.
It is important to note that when calculating your engagement rate, Instagram advises that you get the most accurate result if you calculate your true engagement rate, which includes the number of saves. The formula is:
True Engagement Rate = Number of (Likes + Comments + Saved Posts) / Impressions x 100
Additionally, when you take the time to review your Instagram posts that have the highest number of saves, you will get a clearer picture of what your audience would enjoy the most.
What Matters to the Instagram Algorithm?
Like most algorithms that determine what is hot and what is not, the Instagram algorithm arranges posts based on how well they match the required elements. Figuring out what criteria matters and how much it matters can be maddening. Fortunately, Instagram is not overly mysterious, with the criteria impacting your posts.
Top ways the instagram algorithm determines post visibility:
- The relationship you and your users share matters to Instagram. The bottom line with this is simple. The more a user engages with your content, the more of your content the user sees on their Instagram feed. To check off this box, be sure to post consistently and encourage interaction. It is also important to engage with those interacting with your posts.
- Topics of interest to Instagram users plays a large role in deciding what posts land on your feed. An Instagram user who engages with fashion and floral design will not see many posts about deep-sea fishing.
- Timing of your posts matters to the Instagram algorithm. While Instagram no longer uses the traditional chronological feed, recent posts will still appear at the top of feeds.
- The number of people who follow you and the number of people you follow help direct whose content you see as well as the content displayed to your followers.
- Frequency of app use determines how much shows on your feed. If you spend hours a day on Instagram, you will get a greater selection of content.
- Saved content is a metric that holds a considerable amount of weight in the Instagram algorithm at the moment. As Instagram tracks the number of saves your content receives, you and your post rise in stature according to the algorithm. Many users saving a post sends a signal that the content is quality and needs placement where it can get many views.
Tips to Increase Your Instagram Saves
- Make Content That Will Remain Relevant Over Time – By posting evergreen content, you increase the likelihood of users saving and coming back to your posts as well as sharing them with others.
- Use Posts Highlighting Hacks or Insider Tips – This increases the chance of your audience saving your post; they may love a tip or an idea but not have an immediate opportunity to try it.
- Make High-quality Captions – When you drop a two- or three-word caption on an Instagram post, your audience will be less likely to see the post as something they will want to see again. If you spend a little more time making a caption that offers value to a user, they will have a more immediate sense that this post has content worth viewing another time.
- Rethink Your Images – You will always want your images to be of professional quality. However, freshening up the style of photos you post can help increase your saves. If a post contains a top of the line image along with information or as educational material, your audience will be more likely to see it as material to save and read at a later time. Creating posts with infographic elements also will work well to increase your number of saves.
- Make Posts Using Quotes – An artfully designed image containing a quote that is relevant to your product or your brand will generate more saves for your account. Think of how many times you see images with quotes posted, tweeted, or pinned. Believe it or not, quote images are very collectable, which makes them worth using to build saves. Be sure the style and feel of the quotes mesh with your company’s image. Hearts, flowers, and sonnets could be perfect for a floral shop but not a company specialising in business attire.
- Do Not Be Shy About Asking – Using a request to save an Instagram post is a practical and effective call to action.
Knowing how to make social media changes work for your company can be challenging as well as time-consuming. If you lack the time or the staff to properly oversee your Instagram account, consider hiring seasoned pro’s who can take your social media to the next level.